The It Gets Better Project, through It Gets Better EDU, is proud to support Youth Voices, the organization’s official youth ambassador program.
Youth Voices is an annual cohort of exceptional young people ages 13-18 who team up with our organization to offer their unique stories and words of advice to other LGBTQ+ youth around the globe! They are students, artists, and activists who are working to change their communities for the better and who have a passion for empowering their community of LGBTQ+ peers with their insights and observations.
What Do Youth Voices Do?
As ambassadors of the organization, our Youth Voices have opportunities throughout their year-long commitment to:
- Participate in the It Gets Better Project’s impactful storytelling efforts – across its social media channels, in email newsletters, during key efforts like Pride and LGBTQ+ History Month, and so much more.
- Contribute to strategic planning efforts that help craft future It Gets Better EDU and other organizational programming that directly engage and involve LGBTQ+ youth.
- Help the It Gets Better Project identify new opportunities to connect with LGBTQ+ young people, and assist in incorporating the support of the organization’s current volunteers, staff and board of directors, donors, foundational partners, corporate sponsors, and more in those efforts.
- Develop experiences, skills, and relationships that will shape their development as future leaders of the LGBTQ+ movement and as powerful advocates for social justice.
- Establish friendships with their fellow ambassadors that will last a lifetime, particularly during the 4 day meet-up experience hosted by the organization in Los Angeles.
- Receive a financial stipend.
See some of the incredible initiatives our Youth Voices Class of 2022 participated in here!
Who Can Be a Youth Voice?
Here are some of the top qualifications we look for in our Youth Voices:
- Shares the It Gets Better Project’s mission to uplift, empower, and connect LGBTQ+ youth around the globe.
- Holds a passion for LGBTQ+ rights, racial and gender equality, and social justice, and can speak effectively to those issues.
- Uses gender-inclusive language and embraces the full LGBTQ+ spectrum.
- Has a knack for public speaking and the ability to tell one’s own story, and can learn to share the story of the organization.
- Enjoys participating in a group and knows how to share ideas. Most importantly, knows how to listen to and value input from others.
- Has an optimistic mindset, and is willing to try new things and face new challenges head on.
- Is able to be flexible and balance on average 5 hours of work per month as a youth ambassador with their own personal and school responsibilities.
- Exhibits values of leadership and is already in the process of building a resume of leadership experiences.
Have any questions or want to support Youth Voices? Contact our Education Coordinator, Rae: