Working It Out: An LGBTQ+ Employee Resource Series is a 6-part set of 1-hour workshops from the It Gets Better Project that will help your employees better understand the LGBTQ+ community and to be better allies in the workplace.
You can learn more about each workshop in the section below. We also provide a self-guided resource and a train-the-trainer type session for each of the six workshops, as well, to help you and your colleagues take your learning to the next level.
If you’re interested in bringing any portion of Working It Out to your workplace, please contact Jimmy Ancheta-Tilley, Jr., Associate Director of Development, at email@example.com.
Workshop 1 – The Basics
Let’s start with the basics. Learn about the differences and intersections of sex assigned at birth, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation – concepts vital to the LGBTQ+ experience.
- Understand the differences between biological sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, and romantic orientation.
- Define intersectionality and embrace the importance of making a workplace inclusive and accessible across all experiences.
Workshop 2 – Pronouns
It’s pronoun time. Learn what pronouns are (in the context of the LGBTQ+ community), why they are important, how to use gender-inclusive pronouns, and more.
- Know the basics of inclusive pronouns: what they are, how to use them, why they are important, how to use gender-neutral pronouns, how to respectfully ask for pronouns, and how to practice pronouns.
- Know how to correct oneself when making a mistake with pronouns.
Workshop 3 – Language
Time for an update! Learn what language feels appropriate and what language feels outdated, as well as how to properly refer to someone based on their identity.
- Embrace the current language used at large by the LGBTQ+ community.
- Understand how to properly use language to affirm and support the identity of others.
Workshop 4 – Welcoming Spaces
Everyone belongs here. How to make a space safe, inclusive, and welcoming to LGBTQ+ employees, clients, and customers.
- Learn how to do your part to make both physical and emotional spaces safer, more inclusive, and more welcoming to the LGBTQ+ community.
Workshop 5 – Queer-iosity
What’s on your mind? The who, what, when, where, and whys of respectful curiosity.
- Learn how to ask respectful questions of your LGBTQ+ colleagues and peers.
- Understand how to show up as an ally at all times.
Workshop 6 – Sustainability
You made it to the end! Now let’s talk about how to keep your LGBTQ+ inclusive efforts going.
- Grasp how to sustain LGBTQ+ inclusivity in the workplace.
- Know how to access resources that can help you implement and maintain the practices you’ve learned.
Pride – A History
In this 1-hr presentation, we dive into the historical events that inspired Pride and the modern LGBTQ+ movement for equality, while we also take a look at where this movement is headed in the future.
Hosting an event soon and want to make sure it’s a welcoming and safe space for your LGBTQ+ attendees? In this 1-hr presentation, we share some tips that can help you get it there.