Position: Development Manager
Reports to: Executive Director
Salary: $65,000 Annually
Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Probation: 30 days/1 month
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Benefits: Medical, Vision, Dental, and Commuter
The It Gets Better Project is seeking an accomplished Development Manager to support an annual budget of $1.6MM. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Development Manager will work closely with colleagues in establishing and adopting fundraising goals and identifying fundraising opportunities. The Development Manager will build a personal portfolio of current donors and prospects to engage in opportunities to further the mission of the It Gets Better Project to uplift, empower, and connect LGBTQ+ youth around the globe.
TO APPLY: Please send your resume, cover letter, and a link to your LinkedIn profile to email@example.com.
- In partnership with the Executive Director, establish a formal development plan honoring a diverse range of income streams — including a comprehensive stewardship plan for donors at all levels.
- Identify and cultivate major financial support from individuals, institutional funders, and corporate partners.
- Manage vendors responsible for state charity registration requirements, including commercial co-venture reporting. Ensure continued local, state, and federal fundraising compliance requirements.
- Liaise with the Board of Directors’ Development Committee, providing guidance and other support when necessary
- Position reports to the Executive Director
- Knowledge of or experience working with the LGBTQ+ community and familiarity with issues relevant to LGBTQ+ people. Passionate about the empowerment of LGBTQ+ youth ages 13 – 24.
- Understanding of individual, corporate, and foundation fundraising strategies. Working knowledge of cause marketing strategies a plus.
- Experience with Salesforce important, but not required. Comfort with databases essential.
- Data segmentation competency and experience with ESPs (ex., Mail Chimp, PARDOT, Campaign Monitor) a plus.
- Solid understanding of major business software applications (Google Suite, Microsoft Office, etc.).
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and creatively and to communicate effectively with a diverse range of audiences.
- Strong fundraising ethics and respect for confidentiality of donor information.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload.
- Superior interpersonal skills and ability to communicate professionally with volunteers, colleagues, and donors.
- Some domestic, and potentially international, travel required. Access to reliable transportation and the ability to be insured.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Marketing, Communications or other related fields.
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience working on a development team or comparable work experience.
ABOUT THE IT GETS BETTER PROJECT
Launched by syndicated columnist Dan Savage and his partner Terry Miller, the It Gets Better Project is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that leverages the power of media to reach and provide critical support and hope to LGBTQ+ young people around the world. Through collaborative partnerships elevating positive portrayals of the LGBTQ+ community, the It Gets Better Project strives to uplift, empower, and connect LGBTQ+ young people around the globe. The It Gets Better Project received the 2012 Governor’s Award from the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences and has garnered support from President Obama and 600,000 others who have taken the pledge to share messages of hope and to speak up against intolerance. Connect with the It Gets Better Project: @ItGetsBetter; Facebook.com/ItGetsBetterProject; and YouTube.com/ItGetsBetterProject.
The It Gets Better Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer.